Friday 10 May 2013

Did my predictions work?



So were my first ever election predictions any good? Well not much! It's more of an art than  a science, and something I need to work on. Still, it's fun.

Party
Prediction
Reality
+/-
Labour
47
50.4
3.4
Conservative
12
11.5
-0.5
LibDem
7.8
1.4
-6.4
BNP
6.5
2.9
-3.6
UKIP
17.8
24.2
6.4
Independents
3.6
9.4
5.8

Anyway, I was closest with the Conservative result, not bad with Labour and not good (!) with the rest. Possibly some of those annoying incumbency factors - such as the fact that local candidates were preferred on the ground; independent locals did better than expected, and local support on the ground was crucial. I happen to know that the LibDem team was very small, and couldn't build up support in such a short time despite heroic efforts (noticed by the media!).

As for the result, I'm glad that a woman, (who had a proper job for once) got in, but I wish it was us.

No comments:

Post a Comment